Monday, September 5, 2011

Pumpkin Belgian Waffles

So with fall comes pumpkins...yum!  Although I did not intentionally plant pumpkins this year, I ended up with a rogue pumpkin plant in with my zucchini and yellow squash...a pleasant little surprise!  So, we now have organic pumpkin in the freezer awaiting Thanksgiving, but I had to keep a bit out and make something with the fresh pumpkin.  Many years ago, my husband and I stayed at this bed and breakfast that looked like it was straight out of Gone With the Wind.  They made us the most delicious Sour Cream Belgian Waffles I had ever had in my life and were gracious enough to give me the recipe.  Well, last weekend, I modified that recipe to include that fresh pumpkin, and if I do say so myself, they were super yummy.
Pumpkin Belgian Waffles
4 eggs, separated- hold whites
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp. vanilla (I use vanilla bean paste)
8 ounces sour cream
4 ounces pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend (you can use all purpose flour if you are not gluten-free)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. honey

Mix egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, sour cream and pumpkin together.
Mix the dry ingredients together, then add to the pumpkin mixture.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
Add hot water to your batter a little at a time, until batter is the consistency of cake batter (should be thick, but pourable).  Fold in egg whites.

Bake in your waffle iron to desired crispness.  Top with butter, pecans and maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment